We take pride in educating and training players to a competitive level in a positive environment. The club promotes sportsmanship, integrity, leadership, self-discipline, and character development by stressing the technical, tactical, physical and mental components of the game.
Sportsmanship and team spirit are as important to us as being a highly skilled competitive player.
We strive to create a positive environment based on mutual respect and our program, aided by the WYSL Sportsmanship Program is designed to instill good sportsmanship.
Encouragement of player effort provides for greater enjoyment for the players and leads to better-skilled and better-motivated players. We require that coaches create a positive experience for every player.
We believe that all players should be able to develop their soccer skills and knowledge to the best of their abilities, both individually and as members of a team.
Teams are created based on skill and entered/seeded in the appropriate division.
Over the course of a season (league and tournament play) it is the aim, up to U12, to have each player play at least 50% of the season. At U12 and beyond, playing time will be based on commitment, skill level and overall teams competitiveness with an acknowledgment that it is not productive for any player to sit out an entire game. Notwithstanding the foregoing, playing time is also dependent upon respect for fellow players, coaches and officials.
Tryouts held each spring, are open to all. FC Somers is committed to accommodating all players with the, ability, skills, commitment and attitude to participate in travel soccer. On the very rare occasion that FC Somers is unable to add a player to the travel roster, additional player development opportunities will be made available.
In order to accomplish our philosophy, the club has placed great emphasis on the following:
- Long term development of all players
- Provide an opportunity for our players to participate at all levels of play including, local, regional and nation travel and the premier level
- Conducting age appropriate training sessions during the course of the year directed by certified & licensed coaches
- Offering a year round program for both fall and spring seasons and winter training for all players under the direction of licensed coaches
- Encouraging our coaching staff to further their soccer education
For more information about the commitment and cost of play click here.